I only had one problem when constructing these patches, and that was finding a grey colour that I was happy with. The only fabric I could find that was close to what I wanted, was a satin. Well, as you can imagine, satin would crease easily, and probably look kinda funny. I was skeptical, but I actually bought it. I sat at home playing with it for a while, doubling it over, pinning it down, examining it carefully. It just didnt look right :(
Well, then I had an idea. A far fetched one, mind you. But it actually worked. On an old pair of jeans, I had scribbled an outline of the grey pattern. I cut up this old pair of jeans, and covered the patches with the satin. It actually didnt look too bad! Well, at least I thought so anyway.
I decided to paint the patches before I sewed them onto the pants. TarahRex Cosplay was the one I asked for advice on painting and weathering fabric. With her helpful tips, I set off to paint :)
Once I was happy with the shading, I then used a permanent marker to outline and give it that 'cell shaded' effect you often hear people talking about when referring to a borderlands cosplay. I was very cautious approaching this task, so worried I would overdo it. But I actually found it to be quite fun. I had plenty of reference material, and made sure I kept referring back to it so as not to go overboard.
With the pants completed and the bodysuit almost finish (minus the weathering) I actually began to felt like I was getting somewhere! Up to this point, I had spent a few months on it already, so I was quite pleased and my excitement rejuvenated to see the base structure of my costume come together.